Important Remark: Numbers in the item description are not final. If you believe the numbers are too low/high post below with your reasoning and I will adjust them
The idea behind the item
The item I am suggesting is aimed at intelligence heroes with large mana pools in the end game. Basically the first aim of the item is to provide a good survivability item for intelligence heroes that can afford it, comparable to the effects of big health pools for stregth stacking strength heroes, as well as high armor, life stealing agility carries.
The second use for this item, is to give a purpose to the huge mana pools of well farmed intelligence heroes, which, in the end-game lose the need for mana, making that extra intelligence a less worthy stat. The idea is to be able to trade all that extra mana back into survivability.
This can become a core item on intelligence carries such as Silencer, Destroyer, Storm Spirit, however, it remains mostly a secondary item for such heroes as the raw stats it adds are pretty poor for quite a steep cost.
The final aim of the item is to give the opportunity, of heavy snowballing nukers to become effective carries for the team, by adding them a good chunk of survivability in battle.
Without further ado, here it is:
Notable Ideas from the Thread
- Non-Physical Damage means exactly that: all damage that isnt an autoattack or a physical ability. This includes magical (for most spells) or pure damage (such as Destroyer's and Silencer's orbs)
- The stats the item adds are quite small for a carry-type hero. Only 300 mana, no intellect so no damage, no mana regeneration or other kind of utility. So this item is not exactly a rush-to item.
- Because its not a rush to item, I expect the stats to be balanced as to rushing it does not increase the viability of mid-game nukers. The vampiric spell attacks can prove problematic if gotten early. However, given that this item adds minor survivability early on (i.e. no strenth, no health, only a short regen that cannot be sustained because of the low mana pool) I aim this item to be ignored by most nukers early-mid game.
- Once a caster carry, or snowballing nuker, has built a sufficiently large mana pool (as in any combo of Scythe-Orchid-Shiva-Bloodstone-Euls etc) he will have a largely sufficient mana pool to spam all his spells and still have a lot to spare.
- This is where this item comes in as the equivalent of Satanic for intelligence heroes, giving them a good boost of in-combat regen in order to keep up with the strong Agility or Strength carries.
- As a special mention, it can become a very good "lifesteal and survivability" on Destroyer and Silencer due to their huge mana pool and pure damage.
What about Destroyer and Silencer orb attacks? Will they get healed through Vampiric Affinity using those orb attacks?
- Disable the Active Skill while Disabled.
- Add some sort of Limitation to the passive heal coming from AoE damaging Spells
- Reduce the percentage only for AoE spells.
- Reduce the percentage of the heal the more enemies it hits: i.e first heals 20%, second 10% third 5% and so on.
- Reduce the non-hero damage contribution to the healing. i.e. damaging an enemy hero heals you for 20%, damaging enemy creep or neutral 5%
- put a cap to the maximum enemies the effect can trigger for one spell.
- Passive is Uncode-able
- Make it work like Naix Open Wounds
- Make the heal dependant on the Mana Cost of the Spell
- Dota 2 won't have this problem
- The passive should not heal you for damage you do to yourself.
Yes. The item as I have conceived it initially is to give them a life leech from those pure damage attacks. Keep in mind, only the pure damage part would get the healing done, not the physical part of the attack. That is, if Silencer deals 40 extra pure damage from his orb, he will heal 20% * 40 = 8 health per hit from this.
Now if this proves to be too strong, I don't have any issue with making it work only on abilities. It is not the core intent of the item.
This will be soooo overpowered on Obsidian Destroyer!
Short Answer: Theorycraft post on page 2: http://www.playdota.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=23
Conclusion is, the healing from the Passive of the Item in conjunction with the Orb is not overwhelming. The huge autoattack damage of OD has a good part of Physical Damage which won't contribute to the healing from the item.
Long Answer: You have to also count in the opportunity cost of spending all that gold. I mean sure, the healing power is potent, but the item doesn't bring much more than that. No hex on demand like Scythe, no silence on demand like Orchid, no armor and aoe frost blast like Shiva also no intellect to boost the autoattack damage.
So while on paper it might seem that a fed destroyer with 4k mana and Vampiric Orb is unstoppable, fact is that maybe buying that Scythe of Vyse instead of the Vampiric Orb would make him even more unstoppable.
Also, this item won't help his early game, neither the fact that he can still be bursted down or CC-ed.
- 17/12/2011 Tweaked the Blood Pact ability in respect to the suggestion of DrQwertySilence on the first page. (Waiting for more input)
From 75 flat mana cost and 50/75/100 regen to 75/100/125 mana and 45 / 75 / 100 regen.
- 17/12/2011 Initially Posted the item suggestion.