Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
BubbleTea812

Default Dota 2 MMR system?

So what do you guys think the Dota 2 MMR system is going to be like?

Is it going to be HoN where it shows your MMR when you play All Pick or Single Draft?

Or is it going to be like LoL where you have to reach the max level and play Single Draft for it to show you MMR?

Honestly I like the LoL idea more.

So whatcha guys hope for?

"I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny ... If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that."
- Eminem

Old 03-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
weMYM

Default Re: Dota 2 MMR system?

i stopped playing lol after finding out i had to reach level 30 to even start to care about the game

Old 03-20-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
Graybes

The game should have a completely hidden ranking for MM but still show a level based on how much you have played. There is a level system in the profiles already. I hope they use that just as a progression and unlock thing and to show how much someone has played. MM ranking numbers should stay hidden.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
Elqt

Well as we have seen in League of Legends and has obviously carried over to DoTA2 (Despite not working yet because of Beta), we're going to recieving a leveling system and I really don't know if a 'ranked' is really going to justify it. I'd appreciate more of a Starcraft 2 approach to ranking (despite all the flak that it gets) I find it is a great representation, you have a hidden MMR and your only ranking is really represented throughout a league (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Masters, Grand Masters) and within your bracket (usually around 200 players) you can move up throughout them and even hold your spot within your own individual league.

Take out the 'individual league' aspect of it, and we seem to have some rough representation of what a players skill level is at, be it that you may have to add a few more rankings along the way (have about 10 or so) to make it a little more accurate. I think it would be excellent.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:16 AM   #5
Semi-Formal

Either way, people are going to cry about how unfair the system is and they should be ranked higher. Also, noobs are only on their team, not the opponents.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
xRdR

Keep it hidden. It works just fine right now.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
WoodWyzard

Well usually the way MMR works in games like this is, the servers search very hard to find people who've played the game for maybe 2 days now and puts them all with you while the enemy team is comprised of Koreans moved to your server via "magick" for great rage.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
Cecrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elqt View Post
Well as we have seen in League of Legends and has obviously carried over to DoTA2 (Despite not working yet because of Beta), we're going to recieving a leveling system and I really don't know if a 'ranked' is really going to justify it. I'd appreciate more of a Starcraft 2 approach to ranking (despite all the flak that it gets) I find it is a great representation, you have a hidden MMR and your only ranking is really represented throughout a league (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Masters, Grand Masters) and within your bracket (usually around 200 players) you can move up throughout them and even hold your spot within your own individual league.

Take out the 'individual league' aspect of it, and we seem to have some rough representation of what a players skill level is at, be it that you may have to add a few more rankings along the way (have about 10 or so) to make it a little more accurate. I think it would be excellent.
^This

The Starcraft 2 system worked well for me, you have your goal to get to the top off your bracket..and still you are not compared to the rest of the world. All you see is your league and that's it.
Great for your e-peen as well

Old 03-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Manlybug

Valve is probably gonna think of something unique. They have tendency to experiment new ideas.

Go Valve!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
nickmpidis

Theres obviously goin to be one but not right now

Old 03-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
revenoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmpidis View Post
Theres obviously goin to be one but not right now
there already is one, right now

idiot

Old 03-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
FGBgaming

if they want to succede in this game we need ladder, this is not casual game we need ranking

Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
EmtZasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Formal View Post
Either way, people are going to cry about how unfair the system is and they should be ranked higher. Also, noobs are only on their team, not the opponents.
True that.

People won't be satisfied whatever the system ends up being. "It's always the teammates man, only reason I have this low rating". There is already a system intact. It's just hidden. It might be kept hidden but I would prefer if it was available. If we had private stats and rating just for us to see then some people might actually wake up from the dream that they are all pros and try and improve, start accepting advises and so on. That is the only reason I would want it. My stats and rating at Hon helped me improve so much because it was the only reason I realized how bad I was and worked on my game. It is satisfying in my opinion, still not everyone has to improve in order to enjoy this game though.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
Vadoff

There definitely needs to be some form of exposed ranking available to the player. I don't care if the exact numbers (MMR/ELO) are given, but there needs to be a way for the player to know how he/she stands up to others, whether it's ranking on a list, leagues, ratings, etc. This is a given in such a competitive game, and all other competing MOBAs have this for a reason (as well as garena, and other dota 1 clients).

Having it completely hidden just feels really murky, and really takes away some of the passion in tirelessly raising your skill level and rating.

Some people have issues with having ratings exposed because players will flame each other in games. I actually believe it would diffuse arguments more quickly than spark it, as a player with massively lower rating wouldn't be able to argue back much. Also, matchmaking does a good job so it would be rare that you encounter someone that's far below your rating. And if there's still a problem, the rating system can be made so that it's only viewable by the player, and not to the public. I, and I'm sure many others, just need some way to tell how we stack up.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #15
ChaQ

Guide Writing Award 

They should copy ranking system from starcraft 2. It's almost perfect.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #16
LemonCrusader

There should be a ranked option with visible MMR, so that people can more easily know what skill level they are at and what to strive for. It should be captains mode to make it even more hardcore and to make sure that people don't end up with 5 carry heroes. Invisible MMR is just lame, it brings no joy and you have no idea when you have reached your goal.

They should also have a normal mode without any matchmaking at all so that people who don't take the game so seriously or just want to practice can play. This mode should have all the neat features such as random gold.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #17
LemonCrusader

Edit: Get a new server for the forum T_T

Old 03-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #18
MurNa

i dont fucking want to play as solo que vs tryhard premades

Old 10-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #19
Endorian2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmtZasz View Post
True that.

People won't be satisfied whatever the system ends up being. "It's always the teammates man, only reason I have this low rating". There is already a system intact. It's just hidden. It might be kept hidden but I would prefer if it was available. If we had private stats and rating just for us to see then some people might actually wake up from the dream that they are all pros and try and improve, start accepting advises and so on. That is the only reason I would want it. My stats and rating at Hon helped me improve so much because it was the only reason I realized how bad I was and worked on my game. It is satisfying in my opinion, still not everyone has to improve in order to enjoy this game though.

Some amazing facts you quote my friend, I agree in what you say.
- Of course you depend on your team's composition of players but still... its not always that. Many players forget to count themselves in when blaming "their awful teammates". Like you are that perfect gamer without mistakes -_-

- I do think there should be some visible kind of rating like mmr or elo. BUT therefor it shouldn't be shown to other players. Keep the current system (like i know how it works...) but change the fact that I can not even see my own statistics, rating, average gpm, xpm, etc.
Like the guy here said before me, some players do find that important to improve themselves.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #20
samekind

Play with friends. Always.
This will make any rating senseless.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #21
MR-President

Suggestion Award 

I just wish that Dota 2 would have an option to select your skill level any time you want instead of just when you first play the game. I love playing with total newbies because I can play whatever hero I want with whatever items i want and still stomp.

But after several games the opponents get harder and the game becomes increasingly harder and restricts your viable choices.

As of now, I can only constantly play with total noobs if I make new accounts once a month, so it would be nice of Valve to allow players with higher ranking to play with in a lower skill region if they so desire (not the other way around).

Old 10-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #22
InvokerofTime
Forum Manager

Please post in the official matchmaking thread rather than necroing an old one

Closed Thread
  Defense of the Ancients DotA Chat