Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Whitefang

Default Next meta-game = Morphling?

version 6.73 - Base agi increased by 5
version 6.74 - Morph gives 3/4/5/6 agi and str

Eternal Blade buff - Increase cast range and slow from 50% to 80%, huge buff but necessary.

That's a total of 11 extra agi and 6 extra str, it's a pretty big for a hero that once just one shot a support hero and still was, even before the buff. Increased agi also mean increased Adaptive Strike dmg, EB+Adaptive Strike will take away 90% HP of support hero and plus Wave Form = instant death.

GG IceFrog, Shotgun Morphling will once again be the nightmare of all support hero, they won't see it coming.

P/S: TBH I simply hate the fact that he can one shot hero that never really have a chance to do anything. Not crying for a nerf or anything, just wait and see how it goes.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
SuperSheep

Steam: SuperSheep
Guide Writing Award 
Default Re: Next meta-game = Morphling?

he isn't without competition, and is still only a shadow of what he once was.

he'll probably see a lot more play but I don't think he will become a staple pick.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
ChibiNya

Steam: ChibiChanNya

He used to be THE pick! The nerfs weren't that bad! There's no reason for him to not show up again nya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss_Kobra View Post
Haters gonna WOOF

Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
jsrnn

- Armor reduced by 2
- Adaptive Strike damage rescaled
Original: Up to 0.75/1.5/2.25/3.0x Agility
New: 20/40/60/80 + up to 0.5/1/1.5/2.0x Agility

Those were the nerfs he got afaik. Shotgun build is utter shit right now *yeah one shotting supports is cute, but you can 2/3 hit them with other builds*, even when he got 3x agility it was situational and lost games but all I've been seeing is shotgun builds by the *EU* pros. They either stomp or get outcarried, and you know Morph shouldn't really get outcarried by a lot of heroes with equal items.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
MNoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrnn View Post
- Armor reduced by 2
- Adaptive Strike damage rescaled
Original: Up to 0.75/1.5/2.25/3.0x Agility
New: 20/40/60/80 + up to 0.5/1/1.5/2.0x Agility

Those were the nerfs he got afaik. Shotgun build is utter shit right now *yeah one shotting supports is cute, but you can 2/3 hit them with other builds*, even when he got 3x agility it was situational and lost games but all I've been seeing is shotgun builds by the *EU* pros. They either stomp or get outcarried, and you know Morph shouldn't really get outcarried by a lot of heroes with equal items.
v6.63: Morph's passive Agility and Strength bonus removed
It was
v6.58: Morph now gives him a passive +2/4/6/8 Agility and Strength bonus when leveling it up

Rushing Ethereal Blade is not a good build IMO. It's a nice second or third item without a doubt...

Linken's rebuff (+10 dmg and doesn't dispell Urn and Medallion) is also an indirect buff to Morphling.

Something like Linkens+Manta is really solid.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
QQmorebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSheep View Post
he isn't without competition, and is still only a shadow of what he once was.

he'll probably see a lot more play but I don't think he will become a staple pick.
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
+1
Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
Glacius91
Banned

What is an Eternal Blade?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
ubic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacius91 View Post
What is an Eternal Blade?
Not a pony for sure
Old 03-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
agricola

I wish people knew what meta-game meant
Old 03-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
juremzenbourg
Banned

no.

next Meta-game = Shadow Fiend

morph is still too weak to fight melee carries like bear and lycan

kunkka will prolly get played too
Old 03-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
MNoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by agricola View Post
+1 this. One hero is not "meta-game"...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=metagame

First definition is 95% accurate.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #12
WallaceGrover

I got anally raped by a morph the other day, he's pretty good but he really needs farm...
Old 03-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #13
juremzenbourg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoya View Post
+1 this. One hero is not "meta-game"...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=metagame

First definition is 95% accurate.
Nope, it's correct for card games

#3 is correct for video games

if 95% of the world uses that meaning for video games, then meta-game now has a second meaning. Case closed.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
Stocade

I defininitely can see a come-back for him. good buffs, slight buffs on some his core items (etheral blade, linken, TP boots). Let's wait and see.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #15
hankaung121

Steam: Steelvan

Just saw a mTw vs CLG match in Starladder today.

CLG got morph that went Linkins, Manta, Ethereal. As soon as he got it. He started one shotting mTw's Rhasta. However even though Morph is pretty fed, mTw OD carried the game getting god-likes.

The only reason morph lost the game was because of lack of coordination on CLG side. So morph is pretty scary right now. Don't know if he needs a nerf yet though. Time will tell.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #16
GodlyKha

Heres my gripe with morph. He's a carry with three and a half escape spells, so he's great at keeping himself alive- but thats about it. Unlike Weaver, he can't stay in battle and deal out some beats before slipping out, he is forced to disengage the second his enemies threaten him. He can escape for sure, but he can't have any presence in doing so. Which means he cannot carry a radiance for sure. Realistically in a fight, morph isn't any more dangerous than crystal maiden. He's going to get off ~600 damage to one hero and a few autoattacks, part of that magic damage being aoe. And then unlike CM, he'll escape safely. But he still can't deal DPS even with items, because he's got no way to make his nigh-melee range attacks hit anyone more than 3-5 times.

Morph might be hard to kill, but he really doesn't do anything on his own. With the gigantic nerfs to shotgun morph, he has very little way to actually accomplish anything. Whats next, Dagon morph? If dagon gets buffed, its a very really possibility, but, lol. He's still a 350 range hero with a long foreswing, he can't semicarry like PotM who makes herself useful through her spells and carries as an afterthought.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #17
Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodlyKha View Post
Heres my gripe with morph. He's a carry with three and a half escape spells, so he's great at keeping himself alive- but thats about it. Unlike Weaver, he can't stay in battle and deal out some beats before slipping out, he is forced to disengage the second his enemies threaten him. He can escape for sure, but he can't have any presence in doing so. Which means he cannot carry a radiance for sure. Realistically in a fight, morph isn't any more dangerous than crystal maiden. He's going to get off ~600 damage to one hero and a few autoattacks, part of that magic damage being aoe. And then unlike CM, he'll escape safely. But he still can't deal DPS even with items, because he's got no way to make his nigh-melee range attacks hit anyone more than 3-5 times.

Morph might be hard to kill, but he really doesn't do anything on his own. With the gigantic nerfs to shotgun morph, he has very little way to actually accomplish anything. Whats next, Dagon morph? If dagon gets buffed, its a very really possibility, but, lol. He's still a 350 range hero with a long foreswing, he can't semicarry like PotM who makes herself useful through her spells and carries as an afterthought.
hes carried through auto-attacks in previous versions, nothing major has changed since then.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:24 AM   #18
GodlyKha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clam View Post
hes carried through auto-attacks in previous versions, nothing major has changed since then.
Not very successfully. He was at his peak popularity when he carried with a 12 gauge.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #19
ChibiNya

Steam: ChibiChanNya

Quote:
Not very successfully. He was at his peak popularity when he carried with a 12 gauge.
Actually the shotgun build was secondary. Many Morphlings specially like.. The one played by EHOME Burning went DPS in the long run, with ridiculous Agi Morph has one of the best DPS in the game. However his interactions with manta got nerfed too hrmph..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss_Kobra View Post
Haters gonna WOOF

Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #20
GodlyKha

The thing is, there are 5 factors a carry needs.
1: Damage
2: Positioning to start it
3: A stun, silence or disable of some kind to prevent the target from using their escape spells
4: A slow of some kind to stop the target from just walking away
5: A method of shrugging off the enemy teams disables on you (mostly BKB)

Broodmother is a good example of how she can carry by making up for a few factors with her farm. She has good (1) damage from her ultimate, (2) great positioning from web that lets her get into melee range on someone, and then (3) cast orchid on them to stop them from blinking away or whatever, then (4) slowing them so they can't just juke away during orchid, and all the while (5) immune by BKB.

Now not all the carries will fit that template- Spectre has everything but the disable on the opponents and a weak form of thwarting disables on herself, but the dispersion/radiance combo sort of makes up for that with her great chasing. Storm has only a mediocre damage and slow, but still fits all those categories otherwise, especially with how many people rush BKB on him now.

But morphling? All he's really got is positioning. His damage is not good, even with morph- worse than any hero with a steroid spell who doesn't have to sacrifice all his max HP to deal respectable DPS. He can't shrug off disables while fighting someone, he's got to run back or dodge stuns and stay away. He can't slow his opponents, so he's only going to get off 3-5 hits in the best case, using waveform as a blink to set up a couple more, but only gets to do it once (unlike antimage). And he hasn't got a stun to set anyone up for further dps- he has to choose between a stun or having DPS =/

Morph just isn't a convincing carry. Burst damager, that was an alright role.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:02 AM   #21
DirtyEpic

Nah I don't think so. Since his Ulti was reworked he lost a lot of weight in the meta. I still remember when he was an unstoppable 4 man pushing monster.

Cheers~

Looking for a review of your suggestion? Let me know.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:03 AM   #22
Kasma
Banned

Quote:
Storm has only a mediocre damage and slow, but still fits all those categories otherwise, especially with how many people rush BKB on him now.
Storm is being played a lot?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #23
galuf

Yeah morph is quite a beast now, he has a better laning (8 more agi and 3 str lvl1 than before if you take morph first it's 1 armor 8 damages 57 hps is serious). I see him beeing more and more picked in comp, and in pub I find him even more rapist than usual pub rapers those days...

@GodlyKha Morph has great damage output from stats and stats manipulation and overall he throws a lot, mb not as much as a fully geared troll warlord but still for an average 5-10s teamfight he has nothing to cry about. I think the oposite way you think, he is great to destroy key teamfight heroes in no time and has the punch to finish the job afterward.

I always go linkens manta. Simply because as a carry you don't wanna die. Linkens is superior to bkb on morph because it has so much synergies...(like dusa imho) and manta as more utility(from defensive, dpsing to tower raping utility) AND is easier to farm than EB. EB is quite core imho on Morph, the burst damage it provides is insane(not as insane as it was but the range is quite appreciable) and the pure stats of the items synergize as well with the previous manta. The slow from EB is quite secondary I guess for morph but with the range and everything it has become a very strong disable that combo with many things ^^.

Lurked on "I'm the juggernaut, bitch"
Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #24
GodlyKha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasma View Post
Storm is being played a lot?
When he's played, he's a carry. And he fits all those conditions.
Didn't say if he's popular or not
Old 03-21-2012, 02:33 AM   #25
vininim

Quote:
When he's played, he's a carry. And he fits all those conditions.
Didn't say if he's popular or not
Calling a hero a 'carry' just because he is played by XBOCT and other "carry" players doesn't help the discussion. We can all agree that morphling, drow, spectre, anti-mage play very different from storm, nightstalker, beastmaster, and invoker. And yet, most people would call everyone of them "carry heroes".
Old 03-21-2012, 02:45 AM   #26
Shines

Those Stat buff is good for him but wont effect so much for the EB and AS as long as the 2x agi remain the same, 11 agi x2 just 22 damage improve for EB and AS.
Still EB is pretty solid core item for Morph since you can kill a support within sec, a battle with/without supporter like ES is a huge different story.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:03 AM   #27
dragonccc

He requires too much time to shine which doesn't fit in the current metagame which is fast games. And other carries can stay in battle longer and thus deal more dmg that way. A good hero in pubs though, if you have good supports that allow you to freefarm.

Credits to Pinopi

Old 03-21-2012, 03:36 AM   #28
Star_Saber
Banned

I find it hilarious to say the least. How people here talk about "Shotgun Morph" as if it was the shit. Well, what do you know, you should have seen MANTA MORPH back in the day, when Manta was the core on EVERY damn AGI hero, ranged and melee alike, and Replicate could actually create an illusion of Morphling himself, NOW we are talking.

When that bullshit returns, I'll be scared.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #29
GodlyKha

Quote:
Originally Posted by vininim View Post
Calling a hero a 'carry' just because he is played by XBOCT and other "carry" players doesn't help the discussion. We can all agree that morphling, drow, spectre, anti-mage play very different from storm, nightstalker, beastmaster, and invoker. And yet, most people would call everyone of them "carry heroes".
Arguing semantics is one thing, but crikey, calling Storm "not a carry" is another. If storms not a carry, Rylai's not a support, and Barathrums not a cow swinging a censer. If you're not trying to say Storm is a carry, then what is the point of your post? You say "storm is being played alot" in response to something that had nothing to do with how popular storm is, then say "calling him a carry doesn't help"... and then call him a carry one line later. And I don't know who XTARD is nor care whatsoever for 'pro-gamers'
I don't speak voodoo english.

Quote:
@GodlyKha Morph has great damage output from stats and stats manipulation and overall he throws a lot, mb not as much as a fully geared troll warlord but still for an average 5-10s teamfight he has nothing to cry about. I think the oposite way you think, he is great to destroy key teamfight heroes in no time and has the punch to finish the job afterward.
He might have good looking numbers on paper from Morph, but in practice, his problem is that he can't land consecutive attacks. Manta, Buriza, Butterfly, etc- they might all make your damage look fancy and kill creeps well, but your entire method of actually hitting an enemy hero is still going to boil down to landing 1-2 hits, then waveforming behind them and landing 3-4 more hits. Compare it to something like a Slardar carry- he gets a few free hits from Crush, can chase well with his giant +ms boost, and stops a running hero with bashes, and chains it with more crushes. Morph? Waveforms basically it. You could do some tricky stuff like flank with a replicate, but I don't think I've seen anyone do that. You get an 11 cooldown blink on a 285 ms hero, its not enough positioning/stun/slow to deal enough damage to even kill most supports during clashes.

From all the games of Morph I've seen, his impotence is what really cripples his usage- its why he's not popular, whether anyone realizes it or not. You have a carry hero, and he can farm well, and he's hard to kill, but he's not good at killing anyone, so the enemy team can well, mostly ignore him. Try ignoring a spectre with VanGod/Rad!

If you really wanted to get kills with Morph, you'd need something ridiculous like Orchid + BKB + Skadi. And it still wouldn't be very good.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #30
z10

Quote:
From all the games of Morph I've seen, his impotence is what really cripples his usage- its why he's not popular, whether anyone realizes it or not. You have a carry hero, and he can farm well, and he's hard to kill, but he's not good at killing anyone
That is the impression I have of morph as well.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #31
Clam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoJS5OxfXeI

epic morph from burning. halfway through he goes, fuck eb, im gonna sell it for skadi.

allied disables are always nice as well.

morphs main problem is managing the transition from early to late game. in early game he is excellent with waveform, while in lategame he owns with full items. his main weakness is that midgame his waveform no longer dominates while his dps is still too low compared to other carries. unfortunately midgame is also where a lot of the push strats seen recently reach their peak, so it will be interesting to see how teams manage this.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #32
TIDDEEEWRECKED

BETTER MORPHLING THAN KUNKKA
Old 03-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #33
Whitefang

Quote:
Originally Posted by agricola View Post
Yes, I know what meta-game meant, just like I know Ethereal isn't Eternal. I just using a short form for the title, what it really meant actually, "Is the next meta-game will revolve around Morphling?" just like the meta-game revolve around AM after The International.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #34
CynthiaCrescent

Steam: lightredemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitefang View Post
the meta-game revolve around AM after The International.
That lasted for almost a month, I don't think that warranted a centralisation.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #35
goay

you are right op
Old 07-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #36
SanKakU

Steam: __

i think the truly terrifying thing about him is that experts can do his whole combo while completely invulnerable.
commends are valves trick to put the player into the noobteams. there they can teach, lead, forgive and be friendly to the noobs
how to win with Lycan in 2k MMR
Old 07-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #37
Domenico
Forum Staff

Steam: barrogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vininim View Post
That's because carrying was referring to playstyle one day and heroes who are good at that are referred to as carries. However, exact means those heroes carry with vary (sometimes quite a lot) and how potent any particular hero @ carrying was always a matter of debates.

Also, on shotgun Morph vs DPS morph: those are pretty close if you think about it. Basically, it's EB that makes him "shotgun", but it also gives him nice stats increse (which stacks with Manta). Difference lies in build order maybe, dunno. That said, shotgun morph was never popular idea for tryhard games. His best times as a carry were when he could replicate his Manta illusion for some ridiculous damage boost, not to mention that ranged Manta was slightly more powerful back then.

"The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments."
Friedrich Nietzsche

------------------------------------------
DC and VG mod. Feel free to PM me with your concerns.
My Steam
Note that I have that infamous edit-a-lot-after-posting syndrome.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #38
Mulldrifter
Banned

Shotgun Morph is simply a waste of early farm imo.

He's much more deadly getting items like Bottle, Yasha, Drums, even Linken's to help his team in teamfights and get easy kills. EB is a late game item choice for him imo, not a core.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #39
teng)

Shotgun Morph FTW.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #40
CasualPubbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goay View Post
you are right op
Is your favourite Hero Necrolyte?
  Defense of the Ancients DotA Chat