Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 04:57 AM   #41
CynthiaCrescent
Member
 
CynthiaCrescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Steam: lightredemption
Posts: 22,660
Blog Entries: 19
CynthiaCrescent is offline

Default Atheist student receives continuous death threats


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey00 View Post

At 8:10, probably the most intelligent theist I've seen yet.
Ok, my mic is a bit screwed up right now so I can't hear the video, so can someone sum this up for me?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #42
Hey00
Member
 
Hey00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,682
Hey00 is offline
Default Re: Atheist student receives continuous death thre
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaCrescent View Post


Ok, my mic is a bit screwed up right now so I can't hear the video, so can someone sum this up for me?
I'll try so in short, that's a debate over whether atheism is intolerant or not, in regard that some atheists are calling theists irrationals, soft minded, that religion can be evil, that it is as credible as the tooth fairy...

First theist speaking nearly hits the godwin point right away, mentioning Stalin, Mao and Pol pot... As if those guys did what they did because they were atheists...

Then the moment I point out is when a theist says that of course it's being uncomfortable for people of faith to be described as said earlier by atheists (the fun part is how the prior theist nods while hearing that without imagining what is coming ^^) but that it is not as uncomfortable as being told you're going to hell if you don't subscribe to a certain belief system, or eat certain food or conduct ceremonies on tiny baby boys, etc.

Then a lesbian points out that all intolerance against her came from religion, another atheist points that if you want to see intolerance, you need to look no further than organized religion, with fatwas and northern Ireland.
And the first theist just discard the old testament and another claims that atheism is intolerant in its claim that it is the neutral position and that religion should not have a place in schools and public places...
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #43
a3jay14
Member
 
a3jay14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 31
a3jay14 is offline
Default Re: Atheist student receives continuous death thre
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Just because an atheist receives death threats it becomes a big deal. People from around the world can receive death threats without being an atheist. She was just probably being targeted by random people because she made a scene-.-'
__________________


  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #44
deathkidkun
Member
 
deathkidkun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 638
deathkidkun is offline
Default Re: Atheist student receives continuous death thre
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

I wonder what's this deal about religion-less people going to hell, and prosecuting non-christians? I'm a christian and apparently I'm disappointed with most of my kind for being these religious hypocrites apparently, so called catholics. Apparently, they're assuming they're practicing the right thing and telling people they'll burn in hell for not believing.
Which makes people even more suspicious and ticked and defiant about it. Sorry fellas, but if there's anything to blame, it's not the religion, but the humans practicing it (or they think they're doing it).
I don't see why religion-less people can't go to heaven as well if they haven't broken the 10 commandments.
__________________
How bout helpin me review mine as well?

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #45
badmafa
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,500
badmafa is offline
Default Re: Atheist student receives continuous death thre
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkidkun View Post
I don't see why religion-less people can't go to heaven as well if they haven't broken the 10 commandments.
Following the 10 Commandments involves worshiping the evil tyrant Yahweh.

Quote:
Exodus 20:
1 And God spake all these words, saying,
2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
...
These are supposedly the 10 rules to live by, and the first 4 are just about how to worship the creator of the rules. It's rather telling that the 10 Commandments say nothing about child abuse, rape, genocide or spousal abuse. The last is my favourite, as it actually indicts you for thoughtcrime.
Quote:
Exodus 20:
17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house,
thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #46
deathkidkun
Member
 
deathkidkun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 638
deathkidkun is offline
Default Re: Atheist student receives continuous death thre
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Summary for that is that thou shalt be satisfied for what thou has.

Meh. The Lord is a forgiving one, so chill. (Don't take advantage though)
__________________
How bout helpin me review mine as well?

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #47
deathkidkun
Member
 
deathkidkun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 638
deathkidkun is offline
Default Re: Atheist student receives continuous death thre
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Damn double post!
__________________
How bout helpin me review mine as well?

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #48
Mazoku
Member
 
Mazoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 4,897
Mazoku is offline
Default Re: Atheist student receives continuous death thre
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote:
Summary for that is that thou shalt be satisfied for what thou has.
And if you are not, then straight to hell you go.

Did you know that (for example) i cant chose wheter to be satisfied or not?

If i could chose that then i would chose to be statisfied all the time.

Quote:
The last is my favourite, as it actually indicts you for thoughtcrime.
Yeah, there is plenty of thoughtcrime... But oh well, we are as responsable of our actions than we are of our thoughs in the eyes of an omnicient beeing.
If he knows what is going to happen, then we are as powerless to stop our own actions than we are to stop our thoughts.

It is his back up plan. You are born guilty, the only way to save yourself is to follow that particular religion... how convinient...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #49
deathkidkun
Member
 
deathkidkun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 638
deathkidkun is offline
Default Re: Atheist student receives continuous death thre
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Straight to hell? I don't think so. From what I know, straight to hell mostly count for suicides only (although there is a possibility that they are also forgiven)
You are given infinite chances as long as you're still alive, repent and you'll be fine.

-EDIT-
I'm guessing people got these ideas from the Old Testament of the bible, where God was portrayed as some vindictive God, always destroying things and punishing here and there. Well, that sort of kinda is in the past...going into the New Testament where he even sacrificed his own son to save everyone so they won't go straight to hell.

In other words, it's kind of a complicated long story this religion thing, you kind of have to grow with it and sweep out logic to understand it really. All I know that even religion-less people should have a chance of getting into heaven as long as they don't completely defy the commandments and actually have a heart to forgive and all that.

Well, this is my Christian point of view, others may have some other perspective on it. Not meaning to be offensive to any religion or none-believer whatsoever. Just giving my opinion.
Cheers!
__________________
How bout helpin me review mine as well?

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #50
565656
Member
 
565656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 546
565656 is offline
Default Re: Atheist student receives continuous death thre
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

1. deathkidkun looks harmless. Stop telling him the truth.
2. this is about christian terrorism. If you want to argue about your religion there are at least 2 other threads about it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #51
Hey00
Member
 
Hey00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,682
Hey00 is offline
Default Re: Atheist student receives continuous death thre
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkidkun View Post
Straight to hell? I don't think so. From what I know, straight to hell mostly count for suicides only (although there is a possibility that they are also forgiven)
You are given infinite chances as long as you're still alive, repent and you'll be fine.

-EDIT-
I'm guessing people got these ideas from the Old Testament of the bible, where God was portrayed as some vindictive God, always destroying things and punishing here and there. Well, that sort of kinda is in the past...going into the New Testament where he even sacrificed his own son to save everyone so they won't go straight to hell.

In other words, it's kind of a complicated long story this religion thing, you kind of have to grow with it and sweep out logic to understand it really. All I know that even religion-less people should have a chance of getting into heaven as long as they don't completely defy the commandments and actually have a heart to forgive and all that.

Well, this is my Christian point of view, others may have some other perspective on it. Not meaning to be offensive to any religion or none-believer whatsoever. Just giving my opinion.
Cheers!
You should take a look at the "does god exist thread", but in short, according to that religion, you can be the worst ever yet go in heaven if you repent while a good atheist will go straight to eternal torture. You disagree with that, but that's the rules of your religion.

You can't dismiss the old testament like that either, god is eternal and unchanging and jesus said the law won't ever change. By the way, the ten commandments are in the old testament.

That religion, and any other for that matter, is so factually wrong, so full of contradiction, so unjust, and the source of so many cases of evil and intolerance that I just can't see how anyone can believe and follow it.

But that's another debate, we can discuss it there instead of here if you want.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #52
Ali Radicali
Member
 
Ali Radicali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam, Holland
Posts: 3,674
Ali Radicali is offline
Default Re: Atheist student receives continuous death thre
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3jay14 View Post
Just because an atheist receives death threats it becomes a big deal. People from around the world can receive death threats without being an atheist. She was just probably being targeted by random people because she made a scene-.-'
Bullshit. The point isn't that she's an atheist who incidentally got a death threat; she got a death threat because she's an atheist. And it was sent by "loving" christians.


It's just another example of religiously motivated terrorism, as I expect most death threats are.

As for deathkidkun, please go read the "does god exist" thread before you start using that lame dog "old testament doesn't count" apologetic on us. Or at least try to defend it there. I can assure you, the fact that you'd even try to make that argument proves your own ignorance of the bible.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #53
a3jay14
Member
 
a3jay14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 31
a3jay14 is offline
Default Re: Atheist student receives continuous death thre
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Radicali View Post
Bullshit. The point isn't that she's an atheist who incidentally got a death threat; she got a death threat because she's an atheist. And it was sent by "loving" christians.


It's just another example of religiously motivated terrorism, as I expect most death threats are.

As for deathkidkun, please go read the "does god exist" thread before you start using that lame dog "old testament doesn't count" apologetic on us. Or at least try to defend it there. I can assure you, the fact that you'd even try to make that argument proves your own ignorance of the bible.

It was sent by "loving" Christians? That word there made me think that people are ignorant. You cant call people "loving" if they're doing such things or they weren't Christians at all its simple as that. There's no such thing as a loving Christians its either they are or they are not.
__________________


  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #54
TwoHourMotel
Member
 
TwoHourMotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,587
TwoHourMotel is online now
Default Re: Atheist student receives continuous death thre
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3jay14 View Post
It was sent by "loving" Christians? That word there made me think that people are ignorant. You cant call people "loving" if they're doing such things or they weren't Christians at all its simple as that. There's no such thing as a loving Christians its either they are or they are not.
I think he was making a joke...
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #55
CynthiaCrescent
Member
 
CynthiaCrescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Steam: lightredemption
Posts: 22,660
Blog Entries: 19
CynthiaCrescent is offline
Default Re: Atheist student receives continuous death thre
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHourMotel View Post
I think he was making a joke...
Hence the air quote
*cough*cough
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #56
Ali Radicali
Member
 
Ali Radicali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam, Holland
Posts: 3,674
Ali Radicali is offline
Default Re: Atheist student receives continuous death thre
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3jay14 View Post
It was sent by "loving" Christians? That word there made me think that people are ignorant. You cant call people "loving" if they're doing such things or they weren't Christians at all its simple as that. There's no such thing as a loving Christians its either they are or they are not.
They profess to be christians, to me that makes them christians. These days, christians like to call their faith a religion of love, which is why I'm trying to point out the contradictions between their actions and their faith.

But I could just as easily play fundamentalist's advocate here and justify such behavior with quotes from both old and new testament, so where you're getting this "not true christians" crap from is beyond me.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
  Entertainment World News & Debates


Forum Jump

Thread Tools


forum staff