Not so Mini guide to Mercurial the Spectre
Written for 6.71b
Written for 6.71b
Pros and Cons of hero
[+] Good attack animation
[+] Strong mid game, excellent late game
[+] Global vision ultimate
[+] Very strong nuke which can be abused at many ways
[+] Almost one of the best escaping mechanisms (details below)
[-] Item dependant
[-] High mana cost nuke and ultimate
[-] Hard early game
1. Spectral Dagger
3. Spectral Dagger
5. Spectral Dagger
7. Spectral Dagger
17 -> 25. Stats
You'll need to max out your Spectral Dagger which is nuke/chasing/escaping ability as fast as you can. This is no-brainer.
Maxing Desolate gives you +50 pure/unreduced damage if enemy is alone. Thats more damage than Sacred Relic if you use this skill wisely. Also, it works on you main ally, your illusions.
Dispersion is % based, so there is absolutely no need to skill it before level 10 as it doesn't increase your survivability nor damage dealt to enemies.
Stats are useful early game (some guides recommend it) but I don't think that it will help you that much since games are much shorter and you need to max your killing potential as faster as you can, so skip stats and go for max Dagger/Desolate!
Haunt will become your main killing ability so max it at lvl 16. Mana cost and cooldown is the same at all levels, so 6 seconds of 5 illusions is a Must!
Overall there is no alternative build since stats build is replaced with singe Poor Mans Shield (next time you see it it will be PMS), or 2 bracers and STR Treads.
Lanes to chose
Dual lane: Spectre is fragile hero, so she needs to chose dual lane. Always. Best lanes for Spectre (your side) are: (Sentinel) Bottom and (Scourge) Top lane. That way you'll maximize your chasing potential.
Solo: Never go solo (mid), no matter what, since you'll be underfarmed, underleveled and you can't chase since tower is only few steps away. Same applies for top/bottom lane. You'll just be feeder or total disaster.
Jungle: No way. No matter how much you're good with pulling, stacking or timing. Evade jungle, or at least wait your first core item.
Item build VS Physical attackers
> > > > >
Explanation: Quelling Blade (next time will be QB) is your core first item since it gives you really nice boost for last hit and it stacks with your diffusal blade (other orbs don't)! Buy Stout Shield with QB and tangos. Proceed to your lane, and buy 2 slippers of agility as fast as you can. PMS will auto-assemble. Buy one Town Portal which will save you or fast teleport for regen, we don't want to lose time. Then rush your first core item, the Diffusal (when you use about 5 charges upgrade it). It gives you nice damage, armor, attack speed, mana pool, purge and most important thing, everything works on illusions!. Now, you buy boots of speed, and then upgrade it to STR/AGI Treads. Continue with Yasha which gives you more +MS, +AS, Armor and works on illusions too. Make Manta out of it and the game should be over already. Also, illusions from manta benefit all above things mentioned!
Item build VS Spell Casters
> > > > > >
Explanation: QB is again your first item, you just can't miss good last-hitting since you are item dependant. Proceed with 2 bracers which give you nice + stats for survivability and some last hit power. Then proceed with Belt of giant strenght which will become STR Treads. 2 Bracers and STR Treads give you 20 STR which is 396HP. Thats almost 50% of you current Health Pool. That will guarantee your way to Diffusal and everything else will be the same.
Highly riskant build!
Explanation: I think the era of ricing is over, but some people still try to continue with this build. This build is only for people who are insane lasthitters and have good team which will support you with wards and leave you Centaurs/Furblogs/Satyrs to convert for large amount of gold. If you manage to get your relic, then game is almost won for your team. If you die 2-3 times, its almost over for you, and hope for some miracle. Immolation applies to all your illusions, but +damage doesn't! Other items are again the same.
Explanation why is this item build riskant/bad
- Only buy it if you are playing Physical build, since it doesn't help you against spells/nukes. + Agility goes on illusions, while +AS and +DMG doesn't.
- This is one of your core items for late game. It gives you great survivability, nice boost to illusions, and greatly increases your Dispersion. You need to Tank the damage, not to reduce/evade it (like BKB or HooD). It just hurts when you disperse Laguna blade at late game.
- Only if no one else is buying it in your team, but I personally don't like it since +60 dmg is pure waste of money, illusions don't gain +DMG. Although, immolation is nice on illusions.
- Since 6.61, new buriza got buff, so it is actually viable now on Spectre. Illusions get Full criticals, which at late game can go to 400-500 damage. Unfortunately, illusions don't gain +DMG from buriza.
- No, no, no and no! This item is the most common mistake. Illusions don't gain Anything! Pure waste of gold, and delaying your Diffusal. Let someone else buy it, but Spectre can perfectly play without life steal, since your role is to kill as faster as possible, not to delay things.
- Just buy 2 Bracers and STR Treads which give you 396 HP. Damage blocking is bad, since you want to Disperse the damage, not to block it. Also, it costs way too much, and only increases your survivability, nothing for your killing power, nor for illusions. Waste of gold and time!
- Illusions don't gain bash (its only Fake animation, don't let it fool you), nor +DMG. Waste!
- +Dmg and phase is total waste, since you all have these with Dagger.
- While many players think that it gives you good chasing ability, they are right. But that is the problem. You already have that power with 0 collision dagger, good MS boost and enemy gets slowed. Also, Maim is the worst orb effect on Spectre, Feedback outruns him at every point. Save your yasha for Manta which is devastating coupled with Diffusal.
Early game (Lvl 1 -> 9): Try to last hit as much as possible. You have good DMG, nice boost from QB/PMS. Save dagger as much as possible for killing purposes, your mana pool is small and you can't spam it. If you're facing against melee hero(s) its sometimes really nice to hurt him with desolate when there are no ally creeps. You'll notice the power of pure damage. When someone asks for a gank, try to cast your dagger between both enemy heroes (don't click on one hero, click on the ground), so both will be damaged, both will leave trails, and you'll get some creep kills also. Use haunt at lvl 6 if you really need to change lane to top/bot.
Mid game (Lvl 10 -> 16): This is where you start to shine. When you get your diffusal, the game becomes interesting. Try to harras as much as you can with your mana-burning attacks. Enemies will get frustrated with such low mana pool. Also, use dagger to farm large creep waves (but don't spam it on 4 creeps, be rational). Again, try to cast dagger on the ground for its max power and maybe you hit 3-4 heroes. Use Haunt at the beginning of battle, not at the end to chase fleeing hero. Abuse your illusions, also, don't use reality at battles, it cancels haunt. Let your 5-6 seconds illusions drop your enemies almost to 60% of their hp/mp. They will be confused which is the real hero, you'll burn their mana so as life, and your team will get insane advantage. If the whole enemy team is missing, its sometimes good to cast Haunt to see if they are Roshaning/Neutraling. Wait for at least 3 seconds before casting Reality, since if you use it instantly, you'll waste 5 seconds of free global harras.
Late game (Lvl 17 -> 25): Don't waste Haunt on one hero neutraling in forest. Now you must focus on 5vs5 battles for full potential. If you have Manta, cast it before battle. Next, cast dagger and then haunt. Don't use reality, you need all 6 seconds of illusions. Continue to damage with your manta illusions which are also almost strong as you. Enemies just can't know which is the real hero when 5 haunt illusions and 2 manta illusions are attacking them. Abuse that strategy until you win.
Hero attacking: Always try to target ground for maximum usage. That way you can hit more than one hero. Use hero-clicking only if there is one hero, otherwise abuse its ground-clicking power!
Creep attacking: Try to find the best angle to harass all creep wave, not just few of them
Collision: Abuse it! Don't use straight lanes, which is the most common mistake! Go through woods, creeps, obstacles, cliffs . . . Everything!
Neutraling: Try to get 2 camps so you can finish them faster!
- If Red HP enemy is escaping and you/allies can't catch him, don't be ashamed to cast dagger on him, its tracking skill and ensures you a kill!
- Cast it to fog areas if you expect ganks, it provides you 2000 line sight.
- Scout Roshan with it if you are sure if they are there, also, you'll get lucky to hit all 5 heroes
- Trail is still ON even if enemy goes invisible, Track him!
- Extremely good against jungle heroes.
- Try to chase 1 hero when no one is around, he'll be amazed when you rape him at lvl 10.
- Abuse Haunt and Manta illusions with this skill!
- If it comes to late game, you'll see them suffer when they use nukes on you!
- AoE is 1000, so abuse it!
- It helps you aggro the jungle, you'll notice how all creeps come to you for free gold!
- If everyone is missing, don't save this skill, scout them, maybe they are roshaning!
- Gank low-hp jungle heroes, they are free kill.
- If you can, wait as much as you can before casting reality, since it cancels all images! I always count in my mind like One . . Two . . Three. . Four . . CAST!
- At big battles (4vs4 or 5vs5), DON'T use reality at all, you need all 6 seconds of illusions!
- If you want to learn much more, check this guide!
Allies and Enemies!
Allies: Babysitters, supporters, slowers.
Omniknight can repel you against nukers, disablers. When you chase with Dagger, his heal can save you and get a kill. Dazzle is as same as Omni. His Heal and slow are your main ally. If you go for tower dive, enemies will cry when they see you alive with 1Hp. Viper and Drow can get you free farm while they harass the enemy, but when you try to chase, enemy is hopeless.
Enemies: Nukers, Mana burners, Blinkers.
Those are your the worst enemies! Silencer with CotS will rape you early game, you must switch lane asap! Nerubian Assassin will keep you at 0 mana all the time, and his combo is deadly for your low Hp. Anti-mage just destroys your mana, also, you can't chase him, he'll just blink away! Lion combo will fatal for you almost all the time!
I probably missed some heroes, but you'll get the general idea!
Last words and Replay
Spectre is one of the most overnerfed heroes in the game. She suffered from couple of remakes and a lots of nerfs. She is really hard to play now, so if you choose her, you know you must play good. Earlier it was all about cast Haunt and reality (no delay, no canceling), some lucky dispersions and you won. Now, you must properly plan every battle and maximize her illusions as much as you can!
This replay sums pretty much every aspect of my guide, so I highly suggest to watch it!
Replay here: <CLICK!>
13. Aug. 09.