Vision is your strongest ally in 90% of the games, by having sight you can predict your enemies movements and sometimes even manipulate them to take certain routes. Having vision of key-points will grant your team a very big advantage warding on it's own isn't hard it basically consists of walking and putting a ward somewhere. Which only cost 100 gold pieces each. But what does make warding something considered an above average skill is timing and having an underlying strategy behind your wards. When to ward certain places is something very important, for two reasons one being the reason why waste gold on something that doesn't grant a benefit. And the other being variation. It may look obvious but not everyone realizes that it's rather easy to counter-ward someone that sticks to the same warding spots all the time. For most key-points there are several places to place your wards. Adapt your wards to the game don't stick to the same places, since when the game continues key-points change.
So let's continue with a closer look on how much vision each ward actually grants. Every ward tells a Tale and each Tale is part of a strategy.
Rune wards a-m
a. Scourge Roshan Bottom Rune-ward
b. Scourge High Hill Rune-Ward
c. Sentinel High Hill Rune Ward
d. Sentinel Jungle Rune Ward
e. Sentinel Sidestep Rune-ward
f. Sentinel Creep-camp Rune-ward
g. Sentinel High Hill Creep Ward
h. Sentinel Strong Camp Ward
i. Scourge River Ward
j. Scourge Top-rune Hill ward
k. Sentinel Toprune Hill
l. Sentinel Ancient Camp Ward
m. Sentinel River Ward
Forest wards 01-19:
Sentinel Forest: 01-04
01. Sentinel Uberward
02. Sentinel Jungle Ramp
03. Sentinel Central Jungle
04. Sentinel Mid Lane Jungle
Scourge Forest: 05-10
05. Scourge Central Jungle Ward
06. Scourge Uberward
07. Scourge Hill ward
08. Scourge Hill ward Entrance
09. Scourge Hill ward Exit
10. Scourge Secret Rosh Entrance
Creep-spawn Blocking wards: 12-19
Sentinel Jungle: 11-14
11. Sentinel Uber-Block Ward
12. Sentinel Creep pull Block Ward
13. Sentinel Central Block Ward
14. Sentinel Hidden Block Ward
Scourge Jungle: 15-18
15. Scourge Creep-pull Ward
16. Scourge Strong Camp Ward
17. Scourge Creep-pull Block Ward
18. Scourge Hidden Block Ward
Lane Wards: A-R
Top Lane: A-E
A. Sentinel Top Second Tower Ward
B. Sentinel Top First Tower Ward
C. Sentinel Top Lane Ward
D. Scourge Top Lane Ward
E. Scourge Top Creep-pull Ward
Mid Lane: F- M
F. Sentinel Base Mid Entrance Ward
G. Sentinel Mid Hill Ward
H. Sentinel Mid Laning Ward
I. Sentinel Mid River Ward
J. Scourge Mid Laning-Ward
K. Scourge Mid Riverward
L. Scourge Mid Entrance Ward West
M. Scourge Secret Shop Ward
N. Scourge Base Mid-Entrance East
Bottom Lane: O-S
O. Sentinel Bot Second Tower Ward
P. Sentinel Bot First Tower Tail-ward
Q. Sentinel Bot First Tower Belly-ward
R. Sentinel Bot Laning Ward
S. Scourge Bot First Tower Tail-ward
T. Scourge Bot Second Tower Belly-ward
Base Wards: I-VIII
Sentinel Base: I-V
I. Sentinel Top Base Entrance Ward
II. Sentinel North Base Ward
III. Sentinel North-East Base Ward
IV. Sentinel East-North Base Ward
V. Sentinel East Base Ward
Scourge Base: VI-VIII
VI. Scourge North Base Entrance Ward
VII. Scourge West Base Entrance Ward
VIII. Scourge East Base Entrance Ward
VIII. Scourge South Base Entrance Ward
IIX. Scourge North-West Base Entrance Ward
The trick in good warding is that you can make sure your enemies are unable to Gank you, with the minimum amount of gold wasted on wards. It doesn't matter if it's aggressive or defensive usage of wards it all comes down to seeing your enemies. Try not to stick with the same ward spots all your games but swap around that makes it a lot harder to find and spot your wards by counter warders. Special thanks to Eumellein, Heldarion, SNOW37 and Phthalocyanine for this section
The Secret art of Counter Warding
Vision is your strongest ally but also your biggest enemy in 50% of the games, so how do you fix this problem? Indeed getting rid of your opponents vision to remain unseen on their radar this helps a lot for your Gankers since they can more easily surprise-buttsex enemies. It also forces your opponents to play more defensive since they will be forced to either take big risks or suffer the results. To be a great counter warder you ought to have supreme map awareness. But some awesome luck is never wrong either.
Things that ease the job of counter warding.
- Seeing your enemy putting up their wards by your own wards or invisible/scouting (allies), keep in mind that the casting range of wards is smaller than 800 AoE. So basically if you place your sentry ward exactly where the enemy stood when he placed the ward, you should be able to see where their ward was placed so keep track of your enemies, in order to get of their radar.
- Using a Gem of True sight, keep in mind a gem costs 700 gold so if you're able to destroy 7 wards it has served it's cost. You can keep it in base after your counter ward a few wards. It has been done in the past but must of the time the benefits aren't worth the risks. Since if you lose it your enemy can use it against your own wards.
- Using a Necrobook 3, these little fuckers are just plain imbalanced when it comes down to a ward wars, it's like comparing fighting daggers with laser-cannons.
- Being Ranged/Blinker Mobility and the ability to attack the wards that are "hidden" out of melee range is a must to do some decent counter warding. Also keep this in mind when your enemy has nearly only active melee ward placers some wards can be excluded from the list already.
- Being able to use the Hot Map
- Knowledge about your enemy's support their favourite ward spots
- Being aware of the strategy planned and played by both Faction so you can more easily predict where their wards are placed.
- Try to place your sentries in such a way that they cover more than 1 warding spot.
- Don't just destroy your enemies observers, also get rid of the sentries that they used to (try) get rid of yours, else they'll easily destroy your sentries as well and they can replace the same ward if they wished.
- Keep track if some creep-camps aren’t spawning.
- When placing sentries, and facing invisibility users, try to place your sentries in such a way that they counter possible observer wards but also key-point where invisible heroes sneak by often, the runes for instance.
- Zeus' Bolt grants a small moment of True sight, it's useful but you’ll need an enemy in order to cast it so it's rather unreliable.
- Hunting your enemies Crow to steal your enemies wards, it's mean but everything is allowed in love and DotA.
Note: Dust of Appearance does NOT reveal wards.
The Hot Map:
Whoa wtf is this you might think on the first look. And well I can't blame you. So let me explain This map shows the sight given by all common and less common used wards. The more red a place on the map is the more wards that cover that area. The trick in finding your enemies ward is by looking for the edges where you realize that they see you. What would you do if you saw an 3-man Gank coming in? What would you do if you knew there spawned a Rune on the lower rune spawn. Etc. all these factors think of your opponent brighter as yourself and watch how they move at certain moments. This is still rather hard and even PusherStreet or Axypa don't have a 90% rating of finding the wards from their enemies.
How to use this map:
Try to lure out "un-normal" Behavior from your enemies in the slim-red areas to find out which ward they've put up exactly. You're estimations she be not more than 800 AoE off since you can still counter ward this ward if you're off that far.
Great Counter Wards Placements:
The pictures below show where to place your sentry and the range of true sight they grant. I haven't shown to counter ward all wards. But only the counter wards which are capable of destroying 2 or more ward spots. For the others, just place them next to the ones shown in the warding section. For all the others try to keep your sentries hidden inside the trees to make it harder for your enemies to spot them.
1. Bot Rune/Sentinel Forest Anti-Ward
2. Bot Rune Anti-Ward
3. Sentinel West Forest Anti-Ward
4. Sentinel Central Forest Anti-Ward
5. Sentinel Hill Anti-Ward
6. Top Rune Mid Anti-Ward
7. Top Rune Anti-Ward
8. Scourge Double-Camp Anti-Ward
10. Scourge Hill Anti-Ward
11. Scourge Jungle Uber Anti-Ward
12. Scourge West Forest Anti-Ward
13. Scourge Secret Shop Anti-Ward
14. Scourge Base Entrance Anti-Ward
The trick in good counter warding is that you're aware of the enemies strategy and aware of where their wards are placed. After knowing that start hunting. Hunting with sentries without having a single clue will not add much to your team, it's better to resort to a gem if that's the case. Special thanks to Eumellein, Heldarion, SNOW37 and Phthalocyanine for this section.
click here for extremely good info And here for additional info